Modern Foreign Languages
The children at Snaith Primary School are taught French each week by their class teacher. Children from year 3 to year 6 are taught this, with KS1 becoming familiar with greetings and key words as we believe it is important to give each child a positive start to learning languages.
We encourage children to learn through conversation, drama and games, as well as developing their spelling and writing skills. The children will also gain an understanding of French culture as well as learning about different countries where French is spoken.
In French lessons pupils will learn to:
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- speak confidently
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.