Ways to help with reading
By hearing your child read every night, they will gain confidence in their skills, they will be able to practice their phonics when reading new words, fluency will improve and comprehension skills, but most of all they will enjoy sharing their books with you.
By asking your children questions as they read, they will gain a better understanding of the text.
Here are some examples of questions to ask as your child is reading their books.
- Where does the story take place?
- When did the story take place?
- What did s/he/it look like?
- Who was s/he/it?
- Where did s/he/it live?
- Who are the characters in the book?
- Where in the book would you find…?
- What do you think is happening here?
- What happened in the story?
- What might this mean?
- How do you feel about…?
- Can you explain why …?